PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier sells Q-400 line to Viking
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 09:16
Torquelink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meanwhile, Bombardier at least had a worldwide presence for the key ongoing support and spares side, looking after turboprops, jets and business jets. However is Viking going to replicate that ? If they are just going to subcontract Q400 support all out to Bombardier anyway then operators are going to lose direct relationships with the manufacturer, never a good thing.
I think that this is key - whether operators and investors retain faith in the current Q400 fleet depends on how well they continue to be supported. Bombardier's product support may not have been the best but supporting a high-utilisation airliner as opposed to a bush / commuter aircraft is a totally different ball-game.
I doubt very much that the Q400 line will move from its current location. All the tooling and processes are there so it shouldn't effect the build quality. By the by, if the Q400 is too expensive, why do they continue to sell very well?
As I understand it, the Downsview site has been sold and leased back for a maximum term of five years including extensions. I suspect that the remaining 60 odd aircraft on order will be completed there and then the line shut down as the costs of relocating it would be enormous. ATR must think all their Christmases have come at once.