PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 08:50
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vessbot
In the possible scenario where it suddenly takes 4 hands to hold the nose up (like what is being speculated here) it would certainly still be a problem.
I really can't imagine anyone, anywhere designing the synthetic feel system that requires four hands to hold the nose up and than having it certified. Running out of pitch authority is another matter.

Originally Posted by gums
We pilots should not have to memorize and obey 5 layers of control laws and such when things go awry. A backup law and maybe one more with zero "help" from Hal could be a realistic approach. But to see a buncha layers, go see the Airbus sequence.
So, when your LEF folded, did you consider the intricacies of the Viper's aerodynamics and FBW or you just countered the unwanted roll? Airbus is just the same. Control gains and effects may vary but if the attitude doesn't follow pılot's inputs it's not just FBW that got shot.

Originally Posted by gums
Unless your plane is a pure FBW, unstable design such as I flew, then it seems to me we should have some means to quickly and effectively revert to a pure "hand flying" machine if it passes all the agency certification requirements.
Well, that is exactly the issue: the oh-so-pilot-friendly-and-simple-and-manual 737 doesn't pass pitch stability certification criteria without constant supervision and intervention of STS HAL.