PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DPA members to vote on training ban
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 01:15
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Winterland
The last contract compliance campaign was only successful in that the working conditions at KA became so poor that pilots were leaving in large numbers. The 'back on board policy' was introduced because flights were being cancelled for lack of pilots. It was market forces and not the contract compliance that won.
Hi Dan,

If KA pilots were not in Contract Compliance during this period of high attrition, the flying program would have been covered by good will. It's that simple. Contract Compliance became devastatingly effective once attrition became fashionable. It further became a dynamic spiral for management when pilots leaving, were so resentful of the company, it was an industrial scorched earth policy. Resignations by ACARS, a management coined tactical sick leave campaign and we even had Time Magazine and the SCMP on our side.

I remember being asked to fly on a G Day by crew control and I said I couldn't because it was Capt Bloggs farewell party. She laughed and said it was Bloggs flying that needed covering. I suggested our managers may be free and she said they'd been flying all week. On a serious note, I feel our protracted industrial dispute had us exposed on the safety front.

One caveat of course, what worked then, won't work now.