PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 9th Nov 2018, 00:12
arizona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a former helicopter pilot I experienced three total engine failures in single engine helicopters and three lucky autorotations that saved the day for my pax, me and the company. Most of my helicopter time though is logged in twin engine helicopters, one of which also gave me an engine failure, but that was in level flight and therefore nothing of interest..

With Occam's razor in mind I got to my very own simplified conclusion that this accident started with a tail rotor failure that turned out catastrophic due to no visual recovery in the blurry video. The helicopter’s counter rotation and the engine sound made me think the helicopter descended with high power and high collective all the way to the ground.. The shape of the tail rotor blades on the downed helicopter made me also think that the helicopter hit the ground with the TR not spinning at all due to a TR drive failure… Why wasn’t the pilots able to lower the collective?