PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 21:19
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Way To Train This Specific Failure....

I keep seeing references to "training" and a procedure for runaway trim, both of which are obviously real things, and training for runaway trim is also real.

However, training for the particular failure suspected here may NOT be possible, at least not in any MAX simulator.

The current breed of simulators for the majority of 'new' aircraft are built around a "binary" supplied by the aircraft manufacturer, which is now part of the data package.

The binary is essentially the aircraft avionics software and any other systems models, packaged for use in a realtime computing architecture. The malfunction list for the data package is fixed and is intended to include any of the anticipated failures that the crew may experience.

Adding a specific malfunction is something that requires the binary to be updated.

Sitting here, I don't have access to the list of supported failures included with the current release MAX binary, but my strong suspicion is there is no malfunction support for AOA sensor failure (or stuck or similar), meaning any crew encountering this would have no possibility of seeing this exact failure and problem cascade in the simulator. Maybe some with better access to a MAX sim can confirm?

- GY