PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying VFR in Rain?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 18:56
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2unlimited
Flying with even small amount of ice on your aircraft will make you a test pilot, and if you are a pilot flying a C172, I don't think thats what you want to do.
I noticed and have to respect the contemporarily common methodology to generate power by hate-speeches and generating fear, but this simply is not true.

The older aircraft do have quite a safety margin, usually bigger compared to modern design, and we know this not by having cuddled pussy home cushions. Especially C172/C182/BE33/BE35 have been through quite serious and yes, sometimes believed to be dangerous, situations without harm.

No, if you pick up a little ice you have to be cautious, but not in fear.
No, you will be no test pilot, hundreds have been there and managed it.

The OP asked about rain and snow. No, if done with an open airmanship mind both are not a nogo area. When icing starts, you have to do something, i.e. first think, but usually there are several options you prepared for in advance.

If we leave the old designs and move to 'modern' slick and fancy laminar wing profiles, things change. Yes, a Cirrus or Columbia or Aquila will show much more sensitivity to ice and I would treat the beginning of icing in a non-Fiki SR22 as a very serious issue, but that was not what the OP asked. As always, know your aircraft, know how to deal with nature, know the weather and know yourself. If you are not experienced and fearful, stay out of any non CAVOK Sunday flight, but please do not try to evangelize.