PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ownership of risk
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2018, 16:21
langleybaston

Received 718 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by cattletruck
langleybaston, yes I am already aware of his ignominious removal from office, however I found his dedication and enthusiasm for his old organisation to be very strong, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his old gig back, much to the chagrin of the jobsworths that are too frightened to embrace his vision. Now aint that the issue here in a nutshell.
I retired voluntarily in 1996 so I don't know what "the vision" is, but if it is about embedding Met staff within their customers' structures, I am all for it.
Such a policy was being quietly and unobtrusively pursued by the RAF and the Met Office in the early 1990s by such mechanisms as Hon Membership of squadrons and semi-automatic Mess membership. Out of the blue, the modest financial incentives for Met staff on detachment to live in Mess were withdrawn. Thus the liaison at meal times and in the bar ceased, and detachees were forced [by very substantial financial considerations] to live in pubs, hotels, bedsits etc. Guess what: at more cost to the Treasury.

Sorry about the digression, but worth clearing up I think.