PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another A380 Woe?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 22:44
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by golfyankeesierra
Odd, if they're dumping they're overweight. If they're overweight, 180 seems a little slow.. Probably not very reliable data (FR?)
I was thinking the same thing unless they were trying to burn rather than dump and had some flaps out in the hold. The 180 knots was indicated airspeed from the transmitted Mode S EHS data. They were in the hold for about 90 minutes from what I see. The groundspeeds seem to bounce between 260 and 170 as the plane goes around the hold at FL130.

Originally Posted by Turbine D
I don't think either of us engineers ever suggested dual thrust loss is somehow fine. The only dual engine thrust loss that I recall happened on a Boeing 767 out of LA when the pilots on the pointy end accidentally shut off the fuel flow to the engines. It was a new aircraft to them at the time having transitioned from the Boeing 727. Luckily, the CF6-80 engines restarted quickly before the aircraft hit the sea.

I believe there have been a half-dozen cases of dual engine thrust lost on the 767 alone.

Air Canada certainly has the primacy claim with the world famous Gimli Glider:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Originally Posted by Turbine D
I know because a co-worker of mine was on that aircraft and said the silence was eerie. The pilot who operated the switches did so without looking, the memory of his flying 727s and switch positions was etched in his mind. The CF6-80 had the quickest start time compared to the JT9s or RB211s, the RBs being the slowest. The Aircraft was within 300 feet of the ocean when the first CF6-80 started and began to generate enough power to begin a slow climb out. The pilots flew the aircraft on to Cincinnati, never explaining to the frightened passengers what happened.
That Delta LAX-CVG flight was a classic screwup. With both engines shutdown in flight, the RAT deployed as advertised and buzzed merrily all the way to Cincinnati. The feds did an emergency revocation of the captain's ticket and went in person to retrieve it instead of sending a letter asking for its surrender. Apparently the crew contacted flight ops in ATL after the motors were restarted and the VP Flight Ops (was it Harry Alger?) said they were OK to continue. When the feds went ballistic, the company's attitude changed to that Animal House quote: 'you f***ed up, you trusted us!' Or, so the tale was told by some Deltoid friends at a brewpub years ago.