PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newlywed Helo Crash in Texas
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 20:52
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbubba
The hill is five miles from Highway 55. Can you figure out how far that is from the wedding site? I'm not sure I can find the farm property on Google Maps.

Uvalde Justice of the Peace Steve Kennedy posted a picture on social media of the wreckage on the side of Chalk Bluff.

Video of the crash site from KSAT:

https://youtu.be/4b9iGAY7Ovg
That job hit HARD. I"m guessing this is going to be CFIT, but of course - just a guess like many others. There was a CFIT out north of the PHX area a while back at night, I can't recall the details but just a case of not knowing where the air stopped, and the Earth started.

The few times I fly west TX I actually follow I-10, including the meanderings. Unless I'm headed to the panhandle, and then it's easy to follow 287. I'm about ready to stop flying VFR, night, single engine entirely. Just a condition of too many variables stacking up. As a bizarre side note - the early Bonanza had a flare tray built into the lower side of the fuselage. The plan was, should a problem occur at night, the flares would shoot out 1-2-3, and illuminate the ground below, then the pilot would do a 180 descending to land along the flare path. No - I'm not kidding.