PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another A380 Woe?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 20:44
Commander Taco

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a Pratt JT9D powered B767-200 (not a particularly fine engine BTW. I hate to tell you, but your operative words in your quote above weren't just hedgy, they just weren't true. I know because a co-worker of mine was on that aircraft and said the silence was eerie. The pilot who operated the switches did so without looking, the memory of his flying 727s and switch positions was etched in his mind. The CF6-80 had the quickest start time compared to the JT9s or RB211s, the RBs being the slowest. The Aircraft was within 300 feet of the ocean when the first CF6-80 started and began to generate enough power to begin a slow climb out. The pilots flew the aircraft on to Cincinnati, never explaining to the frightened passengers what happened.
Wasn't trying to be hedgy, or even edgy for that matter, but thanks for the correction Turbine D. Looks like the one we're talking about was a Delta 767 with the CF6 engines as you state. My memory was of a UAL Pratt 767. Too many years, too many incidents/accidents to keep straight.