PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newlywed Helo Crash in Texas
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 17:08
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Couple of years ago I worked for a guy who had a 206B that he operated for both business and pleasure. When he got married I did almost the exact same mission: I pre-positioned the ship to the farm of the new wife's family where the reception was held. I hung out at the reception (not drinking, dammit) until He and She decided it was time to go get on their jet to their honeymoon. I forget how late it was, but I hadn't gotten up super early that day. All I had to do was get the ship to the farm before the reception, before all the food trays and paper plates and stuff were set out.

Come time to leave, there were of course bright lights and flash cameras recording the event. I popped out of the site, noting how really dark central Alabama (U.S.) farmland can be at midnight after people go to bed and turn their exterior lights out. Fortunately it was clear with plenty of celestial illumination. Still, you have to be really night current. The real challenge was landing at the small GA airport. It was a black friggin' hole with sparse runway and ramp surface lighting, but no floods. I don't much like unaided night.

In looking at the pictures of the wrecked 206 in Texas, my first question was: Where's the tail rotor?