PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 03:15
Bleve

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
... Under VFR - Power, plus attitude equals performance? No matter what the panel is telling you - if the top of the panel is roughly lined up with the horizon, and the thrust levers are at a certain setting, you'll keep flying? ...
This has been discussed already in the thread, but yes P+A=P applies to all aeroplanes, even big jet ones. After the AF447 accident Boeing (and I'm guessing Airbus) rewrote the Unreliable Airspeed checklist and the initial (memory) steps are essentially: turn off the automatics, hand fly and set a Power and an Attitude. This will give you approximately straight and level flight. [ie Piloting 101: Aviate (P+A=P).] Once that is done and you have established safe manual flight, then the analysis and fault finding can begin. In my airline we've been getting regular Unreliable Airspeed scenarios in our Simulator exercises ever since AF447. I'm guessing it's not going to let up for quite some time yet.

The question now appears to be a Human Factors one: Why are crews not recognising Unreliable Airspeed events and applying the correct recovery procedures?