PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Priority For Boarding
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 02:21
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Professional Amateur

Some have likened police and paramedics to those in the ADF; on the surface they appear to be similar however in the eyes of the law, which is where the distinction lies, they are very different. Ascribing deaths over a period of time as some sort of measure of similarity is naive at best.

When you sign up to the ADF the deal is that you no longer have a say when it comes to being placed in harms way. An emergency services person does not, when signing up make this same agreement, and whilst the numbers may be similar, their death whilst tragic was not part of the deal.

OK I have to respond to that.

Bollocks.

Nobody signs up to the ADF to die. You sign up to perform roles, some of which may incur a higher chance of death like some civilian roles may incur.

You think a firefighter rocks up to a burning house and says “yeah looks a bit hot, I might sit this one out” without ramifications? I don’t think their career will be going too far in that case.

I’ve tried not to defame any military personnel on this thread but I’ve got to say some of the put downs that have been directed at civilian occupations, especially emergency services members on this thread are sickening.