PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 5th Nov 2018, 23:54
bumpthump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Bumpthump, During a Class 1 departure, the pilot doesn't "yaw round to his intended departure route". The aircraft is flown straight ahead until the second phase of the departure profile is completed, which involves lowering the nose, gaining some forward airspeed then climbing ahead. The aircraft is then turned in balanced flight in the climb onto the desired heading.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense,and aligns with my years of N Sea passenger experience,...although I have never been involved in that kind of take off personally.
That being the case, was there an operational reason for the (controlled?) yaw to starboard immediately prior to the incident?

Apologies again if the questions appear inane. In no way am I trying to “solve the mystery” in my own head. Having been a passenger in commercial helicopters for 40 years, the insights here are an education in themselves, and help me to gain some understanding of what was a significant part of my life for so long.