PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Air Security Threat: Pillow Bombs
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2003, 14:46
Load Toad

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pillow Bombs? Coat Bombs? Cuddly Toy Bombs?

Do I as a passenger need to know what exactly the security people are looking for? I know what I'm not allowed to carry but do I need to know how security equipment works, what significant or subtle signs indicate a passenger is a potential terrorist?
What was the point of telling us that pillow bombs etc may be a new way for terrorists to blow up an airliner; am I now to view with suspicion and fear every child carrying a toy or grandmother nervously cluching her neck support?
Who was going to gain from this announcement? Surely it isn't the passengers and us knowing about this won't help. Are we going to be banned from wearing coats or carrying any soft furnishings (whilst carrying on our duty free and eating with or plastic knives / metal forks) - or are we going to jib in little nancy holding her 'Hello kitty ' doll?
Surely airport / airline security would have been better knowing this confidentially so as not to alarm passengers or alert potential terrorists that the possible weapon was already understood and safeguards existed to spot such threats?
Has common sense completely vanished from this world?

By the way, on the way home last night I lost HK$20 - at this point there is no indication that this was anything but an act of carelessness on my part.