PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Priority For Boarding
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2018, 00:56
5_mile_sniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting all of the commentary is along the lines of "I've never served but...", "whataboutisms" of Dr Dre or even veterans themselves with "Americanisms" all seem to immediately deride or shut this simple gesture down. Sure it could be better with cheap airfares but that is unlikely...

What we should be asking "why do our veterans not feel proud enough of their service to even identify themselves?", or
"why do Australian veterans continue to feel the need to hide in anonymity?" Alot of it has to do with the continued public perpetuation of humble, stoic and silent ANZAC digger stereotype.

After 19 years in the Army the only time anyone has ever gone out of their way and thanked me for my service was in a foreign country (US). It is not something I seek out or need, but like when someone compliments you, it does change your day. It also says a lot about how we look at and treat veterans in Australia. Perhaps more 'silent honoring' is the true Australian way.

Maybe I will identify myself and board early, maybe I won't. The fact that I ask the question speaks to a larger cultural issue. In the future, maybe a younger serviceman or woman will accept this offer and never even ask this question to themselves.

A small gesture by Virgin, but nonetheless they have at least done something, which is better than nothing.

Last edited by 5_mile_sniper; 5th Nov 2018 at 01:23.