PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ownership of risk
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 19:57
Aurora Australis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that. Interesting that the specific wind criteria seem to only refer to Actual reported conditions, not Forecasts.

The frustration that many of us (professional pilots who have operated in the Falklands for 30 or more years, albeit not of large fixed-wing aircraft types) have is that the Operators at MPA close the airport based on TAFs, not METARs.
I would have no issue with them delaying or cancelling their own operations based on issues such as logistic/cost problems if an 11 hour flight from Cape Verde (since Ascension is no longer used) ends up having to divert to Montevideo, but it is a different matter for a 2 hour commercial flight from Punta Arenas to be turned around on a forecast when 20 minutes out with no signs of the forecast turbulence actually happening, or a departure being cancelled in similar circumstances when the airfield is flat calm, which has happened on many occasions.

I don't have the figures to hand, but I would estimate that over the last three or four years, something approaching 20% of all international flights to MPA have been delayed by 24 hrs or more.