PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 18:54
Danny42C

Folks , thanks again for your wonderful help so far, concerning my father-in-law's RAF service. To clarify, all we know of his movements are that, after completing basic training, he was posted to RAF Feltwell in February 1944 and appears to have stayed there until being sent to No. 4 PDC in May 1945 - but we don't know what he was doing there, so have no idea what his trade was. He then appears to have arrived at ACSEA (then in Kandy, Ceylon?)
AndrewClark,

Bit puzzled about your "4PDC" (obviously "Personnel" - something - Centre)", but would guess it would be a "Transit Camp", where he would've been issued Tropical Uniform (Khaki Drill for India - complete with "Bombay Bowler" !), inoculations brought up to date (plus Yellow Fever), and generally kicked around from dawn to dusk till he embarked on the Clyde when his ship came in. Do you know where this "PDC" was ? - many of the India contingent (including myself) went to Blackpool for overseas preparation beforeembarkation at Liverpoolor the Cyde.

ACSEA was in Ceylon, with Lord Mountbatten commanding. Unlike India (where there were no female British forces), he had Wrens in Ceylon, hence:

" I'll be an ACSEA hero,
And never see a Zero !
Why would I need an Enemy,
When We've got this Wrennery ?
"

Good hunting ! Danny.