PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cargo drones in the lower airspace
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 18:02
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
cargo drones in the lower airspace

I spent time last week at a meeting discussing the use of drones to deliver cargo in very specific circumstances as a very specific piece of very specific supply chains. It made me rethink the 'remove the pilot from the flight deck to remove pilot error' argument which is occasionally raised here to be ritually shot-down.

I have to say I was really impressed by the progress. I saw demos of (ADSB-equipped) drones flying purely autonomously, right under the approach path of a small regional airport, and delivering up to 5Kg over ranges of 50Km or so. They were discussing the idea of exploiting the lower airspace (<500' AGL) for high value and urgent items - critical spare parts, critical medicines etc. My very strong suspicion is that this will become established over the next 5 years and in the next 10 years, a lower airspace full of autonomous drones zipping around will be part of the aviation world.

I think that is a world away from pilotless long range passenger aircraft, but the gap is closing in cargo. I saw a description of an autonomous drone with a 1,800Kg load and a range of 1,000s of Km (FLYOX singularAircraft), that could replace a Twin Otter or a Caravan.