PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Category A Takeoff: Background
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 12:40
SASless

Received 517 Likes on 215 Posts
I've flown and trained both, and variations on them, including a hideous home-concocted company version for the B212
Probably devised by the same fella that wrote the S-58T Profiles at the UK Centre of Excellence back in the 1970's.

I always felt like a proper dolt performing that take off as I looked down a nice long runway in front of me with thousands of feet of concrete well in excess of anything I would need to use during a rejected takeoff.....but what ho Skippy....it is the way we do things here.

At another Operator in the USA that is very well known for using EMS Airbus Singles for spontaneous bonfires....It was their policy during OEI landings in the 412 to make a shallow approach at 60 knots until 50-75 feet from the surface and then "dive" to get within a few feet of the surface so as to "be in ground effect" while making the run on landing well above translational airspeed.

When asked what would happen if the remaining engine failed while the "diving" to the surface (think nose down, descending, and very close to the ground while you consider that statement.....they opined no problem....just do as we say.

Had I not feared dying in the crash.....I thought about rolling off the throttle during one of those approaches on a Check Ride but always chickened out before doing so.

What I did do.....is follow the policy while doing the check ride then do what every operator of Twins advocated in doing OEI Landings.....omitting the diving part.

Somehow I always reach a conclusion that these kinds of things get over thought by the authorities because of factors not related to the actual safe operation of the aircraft.