PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGTT CPDLC
Thread: EGTT CPDLC
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 10:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonoma
Not much has changed this side of the Channel, FANS still needs disconnecting if not acknowledged within 40 seconds so is very rarely used unless it is to transfer an aircraft to another ANSP, but there is a bit more usage of ATN simply as more aircraft are logging on. But as was two years ago, on the shorter "point and shoot" sectors it isn't used much for heading/level changes as waiting for up to 40 seconds is far too long. It's a tool, it has shown some safety benefits over the 2 years too, but the voice will always be the primary communication.
I thought the kit kicked them out if unacknowledged now? At least it seems to. I've upped my levels of FANS usage because of this.

Personally I'm a fan and will use it whenever I can and that does include levels, speeds and headings upto moderate traffic levels (on one of the "point and shoot" sectors too). I find it does reduce my RT loading when I need it too. I'll still use it for Freq changes as much as I can when im busy.

I also find it depends on the airline for when I use it. I find it gets to, responded to and acknowledged by easyJet very quickly for example sometimes much quicker than me saying the clearance. Other airlines I will be more dubious of.