PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Priority For Boarding
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 05:07
dr dre

Received 361 Likes on 199 Posts
Before I start, let me state that I've had numerous family members fight and become injured in wars over time.

It's a stupid idea. It smacks of American style nationalistic rubbish that we Australians reject. We do the job, and get on with our lives. We reject these overt symbols of nationalism. We are egalitarian. Most ex military I know are humble and don't want to be singled out with priority boarding or announcements so politicians and business people can feel good about themselves while tangible problems in society are ignored.

I've heard numerous ADF and ex-ADF state specifically they find it stupid and they don't want any part of it. I've never met a single ex-military member who wanted to be "thanked for their service". They did the job they volunteered for, and got on with their lives.

If we're going to do it for military veterans, who as been stated is any ADF member who has seen operational service, why not do it for police officers, firefighters, paramedics etc who put their lives on the line to rescue people in need? Why not anyone who has been awarded an Australian bravery decoration? Why not doctors or nurses or teachers or social workers or any profession that is essential for the survival of our great nation? Fishermen, forestry workers and farmers all have a high risk of death on the job and perform vital services for the community. Why not civilian pilots? There have been plenty of civilian professional pilots who have lost their lives in Australia in recent times, do they deserve thanks for providing essential services like air ambulances, outback transportation and disaster relief?

It does smack of virtue signalling and favouritism.

For a more eloquent rebuttal to this proposal written by a former Australian Army officer:

As a veteran, I don't want your thanks. There are plenty who deserve it more

Anything to stop university students saying delete all reference to WW1 and 2, or the word 'remembrance' and 'the fallen' and stating, in public, that they would be 'moved to physically rip off a person's poppy'. I see the OP's point of view but by drawing attention to veterans we can hopefully push these worldly wise, know-it-all eighteen year olds right back in their boxes, where they belong.
And where do they exist outside of your own imagination, or a miniscule fringe element on some dark corner of the internet? Most veterans I know wouldn't want to be singled out to be used as political pawns.

Last edited by dr dre; 4th Nov 2018 at 05:27.