PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Priority For Boarding
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 01:57
benjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, Gents, I have to disagree.

I think the community as a whole should be more appreciative of their current and ex defence members.

I say this as an ex defence member myself.

With a wife in the allied health industry, it has angered me in times past when I have heard about the treatment of veterans by the Dept of Vet Affairs. You would swear that the shiny bum bureaucrats were personally funding the treatment that these ex members (who had suffered mental or physical damage on our behalf) were seeking. The veterans (or their spouses) had to really fight the clerks to have their course of treatment approved. This was not exceptional. It was usual.

If this is a step to recognise the contribution of these people to our nation, regularly and routinely - not just on ANZAC day, then I am for it. Yes it is a bit cheesy, but it is moving in the right direction.

Give the Vets it all: cheap fares, higher tax free threshold, reduced car rego, etc.

For the most part, I enjoyed my military time. While I got away from my time in the military unscathed, I went to 13 funerals of friends and colleagues - in peacetime! Not to mention the sacrifices of the families involved.

I know that friends who have not had exposure to the military life cannot believe some of the stories my wife has told them about her life as a military spouse. The public as whole has no idea.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Lest we forget.