PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 19:11
RVDT

Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Reducing the time spent at zero forward speed will reduce the time spent in very unhelpful conditions when encountering a TR drive failure. Any forward speed will unload the TR, thereby reducing torque effect and will additionally increase effectiveness of the fin. At >50kts there is a reasonable fighting chance in case of a TR drive failure.
And maybe not?

In the current designs with very small vertical surfaces be aware they virtually have no fin or it is very weak in effect -

Phoinix
8th Dec 2015, 13:16
I just finished my recurrent on the 412 at DFW South location. It's a brand new sim capable of 412EP with EFIS, Fast Fin and 4 axis AP. Extremely detailed visuals and updated flight data. The later was a huge surprise.

The instructor gave us a tail rotor drive shaft failure... Surprise surprise, the 412 is not capable of flight at any speed, Fast fin or not. If you enter an autorotation fast enough your only option is to follow it through the right turn, flaring at about 100-ish ft and of course than the left yaw comes that will turn you about 90º. So the flyaway no longer possible they teach to auto immediately and follow it through the right yaw.

I was on the old 212 sim and slightly newer 412 sim some years ago and I remember you could clearly fly away at a low power setting at vy.