PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Blackbird successor Lockheed SR-72 Aurora actually exist?
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 16:22
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dead_pan

Edited to add: I'm sure some people hereabouts will be familiar with the story about some unknown & allegedly secret US mil aircraft having a mishap at Boscombe in the nineties or early noughties, resulting in much activity on the site with screens erected etc etc.
I was there, it didn't happen.

There was over a period of many months lots of little routine incidents of no concern but add these together and saying they happened all on one day led to quite a story. I personally asked the local police to close the main road from Amesbury to Salisbury so that an aircraft with a snag could make a safe approach without risk to the public. I remember reading the guff in the Telegraph and sticking it into the LH page of the ATC log for posterity. If the log has not been binned it will still be in there.

One minor incident that didn't help matters was where a member of the public crashed his car just off base out of hours and the Fire Section crew went to assist. The vehicle was a a black Opel Manta. The Opel bit was taken out by the conspiracy theorists and lo-and-behold we have a Black Manta crash at Boscombe.

Got to go, a black sedan has just pulled up outside and men in dark suits are coming my way. Cheery-bye.