PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Blackbird successor Lockheed SR-72 Aurora actually exist?
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 13:15
Ewan Whosearmy

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The AvgasDinosaur
I think I recall that, it was alleged, that some of the first F-117 crews deployed in GW1 had 'team stealth' patches with two slightly different silouhettes thereon. This were quickly replaced by conventional F-117 patches. Was there a recce stealth aircraft back then ? Possibly in smaller numbers than the F-117.
Your comments and observations appreciated.
Be lucky
david
David

A year or two after the end of Gulf War I, I read in one of the broadsheets that the US Air Force had acknowledged the F-117 had operated in concert with a classified recce platform. Whatever it was has never been declassified.

I don't know much about the Nighthawk, but I don't think it was set up for real-time or dynamic targeting, not least of all because its ingress and egress routes were very carefully planned to minimise its exposure to threat radars that had the power (and other characteristics) to generate a detectable radar return at a reasonable distance. This made me think that, rather than operating as a killer-scout duo, the second platform was actually there to conduct bomb damage assessment.