PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGTT CPDLC
Thread: EGTT CPDLC
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 21:20
directKORUL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggler25
Interesting how you have worded it. A lot of London controllers don't like CPDLC but logging on is not going to hamper their day, the ones that don't like it will just simply not use it. So no harm in logging on.

There are a lot of limitations placed on controllers when using it so most don't bother. Such as:

We're not allowed to use it below FL195.
We're not allowed to transfer aircraft on a heading using CPDLC unless it is to another London Area sector.
We're not allowed to give route instructions with multiple way points if one or more of those points has a three letter designator.

Also if you are a FANS equipped aircraft and the message times out, there is a big spiel we have to give the pilot about disregarding the message and disconnecting from CPDLC. So no controllers bother with FANS aircraft. ATN doesn't have this problem and so you're more likely to get controllers using it, however, there is also the time lag involved with aircraft acting upon any message sent which more or less rules out any tactical use of it (i.e. heading/level/speed instructions).

It is useful for finding out an aircraft's requested FL and to check for stuck mics however, so I would still use it if I were you. Maybe one day it will become more common place.
I don't agree with your "most controllers don't bother"
There is a massive ability to use CPDLC if you adjust your technique to allow for the rules of use. Controllers on WEST sectors use this a significant amount. Pilots need to log in more and controllers need to use it more. This is the only capacity gain enroute sectors have on the horizon, so that's at least 10 years with no other planned capacity gain.

Transferring traffic to the next frequency is the most obvious r/t saver. It is really crucially that aircrew stay logged in and allow controllers to use this particular function. It has been reported that some pilots have been logging off from EGTT in the middle of the sector to log in to SHANWICK or SHANNON. Why? There can be no gain to doing this. Transferring traffic is probably the biggest waste of r/t time with frequencies having to be repeated so often. If this function alone is used controllers will be able to concentrate more on giving more direct routes and continuous climbs and descents thereby saving fuel. The controller has more thinking time.

Moving on to the limitations. Its about time the relevant NATS department looked at the restrictions of use. Some were only arbitrarily introduced as its a new system, but could now be lifted. Particularly the use of frequency change below FL 195 or the request for requested flight level. What could go wrong?

I'm addition FANS is not as good as ATN but it is still useful. Pilots need to be more attentive to it on FANS flights as messages can be left covered over with a previous message. B747, b767 and b757 are also poorly equipped and route messages do not display very well. Pilots of these aircraft need more training to be aware of how routes are displayed on these aircraft.

If you are a pilot please log in. If you are a controller I'd recommend getting used to using it. It's all you are going to have to help you for a significant period of time.