PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Engine Helicopters & the HV Curve
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 14:06
FlexShaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

I know this is a very old thread, but it seems that there's plenty of misinterpretations in my current field of operation - off-shore and seemingly in other fields too.

Cat A and Cat B are design and build certification requirements - correct. The manufacturers will tick the boxes as laid down to certify the Cat A and B requirements. This will be i the form of Profiles, Performance Charts and Emergency Procedures. Ultimately the aircraft is certified to use the Cat A and Cat B procedures as published. How the aircraft is "Operated" then becomes a matter of Performance Classes. This will be dictated by the area of operation and the level of risk that the client or operator is prepared to accept. The considerations would be take off/landing environment, surface as well as the relevant altitude and temperatures.

Some articles and threads I've read recently state that Cat A Profiles assure that the H/V Areas will be avoided. I thought that this was only the case for the Cat B profiles? Cat A assures the OEi capability, and Cat B assures the Cat B profile will keep you out of the H/V Curve.

Surely the H/V Diagrams are only concerned with Auto-rotational landings - hence engine failure in a single engine helicopter and double engine failure in a twin ?

Cat A Profiles and Emergency Procedures are only concerned with OEi accountability - correct? And thus there will be Cat A profiles that do put the helicopter squarely inside the H/V Curves in many cases

I'm listening for your inputs and insight

Respectfully