PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 11:45
Cabby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having watched the video's it looks like the a/c just dropped while spinning. If the pilot had become incapacitated I doubt the front seat passenger would have had time to do anything with the controls.

In the offshore industry pilots are trained incase a pilot ever becomes incapacitated. The technique used is to pull back on the collapsed pilots harness, which isn't as easy as it looks, while making sure the seat harness locks are on, to stop the pilot falling forward onto the controls.

In the video taken from the pitch it would appear that the a/c engines are still running during the descent as there doesn't appear to be any change in the noise, so the pilot didn't turn the engines off. The witness on the ground said it went silent? Maybe lack of tail rotor noise on the descent?

The lack of any AD's nearly a week since the accident to check other AW169's, makes me wonder if the AAIB haven't found any obvious mechanical failures at the moment? Does the AW169 type have a cockpit voice recorder?

What surprised me watching the video taken near to the crash site was the way the post crash fire seemed to consume the cabin Very quickly. The two brave pc's who approached the crashed a/c managed to get close to the cockpit until an explosion made them move away. Don't Leonardo fit crash proof fuel tanks to this new type of a/c?
When was it last serviced, and was the AD sent out to all operators in Sept 2018 for the Emergency Windows, actually completed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46017499