PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moorabbin Emergency
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 04:35
roundsounds

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jonkster
I tend to teach it as an imagined scenario where the student is trying to turn onto final in a forced landing or in a PS&L in really low cloudbase. I describe the situation beforehand and how it will involve mishandling the controls and how this might happen in real life.

In the exercise I try and set it up so the student needs to turn significantly and describe the situation as where they may feel nervous about banking the aircraft low to the ground so they start over ruddering. I then explain they are coming in short and try to 'stretch' the approach by pulling back until it stalls. If I get it right we are now set up in a pro-spin configuration or at least one that will encourage a stall that rotates and bites a bit. (Depends on aircraft to how easy this is to do). We then look at the altitude loss after recovering.

Obviously this done at altitude (we set an imaginary altitude for ground level). I want to encourage them to avoid unbalanced turns caused by ground-shyness, to recognise the control inputs that will cause the aircraft to bite and to show how an increase in stall speed in turns is typically discussed for level turns but it actually depends on G not necessarily angle of bank.

I suspect such a scenario explains a number of base turn stall spin accidents so want to encourage students to avoid falling into that trap.
fantastic!
i was starting to think I was the only one doing this. The “traditional” methods are a waste of time