PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 1st Nov 2018, 23:23
Ewan Whosearmy

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the BBC's "experts" are plumbing new depths for their analysis:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46044224

Do these people, or the BBC, realise how stupid they sound?

"Mr Bray agreed: "It's normal because it's just starting up. When you start an engine up, sometimes you get some vapour or something coming out."
""He takes off, goes up and hovers above the stadium, because then he has got to assess which way the wind is coming and wind speed and everything else," said Mr Bray."
Mr Bray said a mechanical fault was also possible, but he believes this is unlikely.

"These things are checked to the nth degree and any professional pilot will want to make sure his aircraft is safe," he said.

"Obviously, they are putting their own lives at risk.

"It's very, very weird."
Of tail rotor failures, Mr Rowlands says:

""Thankfully, they are not the kind of things that happen often and I certainly don't have any personal first-hand experience of a real one, and I don't know anybody who does."
and

Mr Rowlands believes the pilot manoeuvred the aircraft to prevent loss of life to people on the ground.

"The fact that no-one else apart from people in the aircraft were injured is pretty amazing and I think that's why it's testament to the pilot," he said.

"It's quite a disorientating environment to be in and I think the pilot has done well because not only has he got control of the aircraft, but he's trying to minimise the impact of any incident."
I think I speak for many here when I say: Mr Rowlands, if you want to position yourself as an expert in looking out of the side of a helicopter (Puma crewman, no?), then great. But stop talking about flying unless you have some kind of rotary wing pilot rating. Mr Bray, perhaps you should do the same.

And, BBC, you might want to redefine what an expert is, because you appear to have found two who don't even approach the standards required to be labelled as such in an aviation context. The fact that I am in some small way paying for you to spew this crap makes me sick.

Last edited by Ewan Whosearmy; 1st Nov 2018 at 23:31. Reason: Names reversed