PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moorabbin Emergency
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2018, 22:43
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Okihara
Out of curiosity, why isn't the recovery from stalls induced from higher load factors during turns at low speeds taught? This appears to me as a situation that most pilots will more likely encounter than the usual clean and approach configuration stalls. That's especially true in some LSA where stalls require so much back pressure that you'd really wonder how anyone could get to that point without doing it willingly.
In the MOS, stalls need to be able to be recovered in straight and level flight, climbing, descending and turning. Students should also be able to recover from an incipient spin (which in aircraft that can spin, is not a recovery the instant the aircraft starts to roll and yaw as it stalls).

I suspect that doesn't always happen, particularly when instructors have come through a system where stalling has not been well taught and they go on to propagate their reticence to the next crop of instructors and the cycle continues and the effect spreads wider through the pilot community.

(I would also think that if a school operates an ab-initio aircraft that may have an out of the run of the mill trait when it stalls, handling or mitigating techniques/operating procedures for that should be taught. It sounds on a cursory read that this may well be what is being now implemented in the organisation discussed, which I think is a responsible action).