PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - tail rotor failure at hover
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2018, 14:12
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
I've seen plenty of 212/412 pilots crank on the throttle friction so tight that you need a pipe wrench to undo them. I don't know why, it's just dumb. No hope of winding both throttles off with one hand if the TR drive fails whilst in hover. Certainly not if the guy in the left seat is the one driving. I'd get the throttles off in a 76 well before said 212/412 driver can wind theirs off.

Let's talk about what is really Dumb.

I've seen plenty of 212/412 pilots crank on the throttle friction so tight that you need a pipe wrench to undo them.
How many times did you actually use a Pipe Wrench to undo the set throttles?

How many times did you have to pull the Tee Handles or use the fuel switches to shut down the aircraft with those Throttles held full open by the Pipe Wrench tight Throttles?

​​​​​​​No hope of winding both throttles off with one hand if the TR drive fails whilst in hover.
How small must one's hands be in order not to get hold of both Throttles?

How many hovering autorotations have you actually done without rolling both Throttles off simultaneously?

How do you execute a Hovering Autorotation in a Bell 212/412?

As to the S-76....explain how you can be quicker in moving the Engine Levers over your head and getting back to the Collective Lever than simply rolling the Collective Throttles on the 212/412 to the Ground Idle position with your hand on the Collective mounted throttles to begin with?

Right now....my opinion is you are talking Dumb...... I am willing to listen to your responses and change my mind.