PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Blackbird successor Lockheed SR-72 Aurora actually exist?
Old 1st Nov 2018, 12:32
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Whats this at TTR recently?

Originally Posted by Jackonicko
While there may be manned 'black' aircraft flying from Groom Lake and such places, and while there have been a succession of prototypes and technology demonstrators that we've learned about only after they were grounded, I remain unconvinced that any of the recent black aircraft programmes have actually entered full service.

For a while, it seemed most likely that there could have been a tactical reconnaissance/targeting platform (perhaps along the lines of the supposed TR-3A) whose existence might have explained some of the inconsistencies in F-117A operations, but as time has passed, and as we learned more about the -117A I personally started to think that this was probably fanciful.

I'm even less convinced by Aurora reports and rumours. None of the countries that might have been its targets have reported or complained about overflights, and there doesn't seem to have been any replacement for the int gathered by the Blackbird, that hasn't come from known sources (space-based, U-2, Global Hawk, etc.).

Every other secret programme has been spotted before it came out of the Black World - people had fleeting glimpses of the F-117A even before its existence was revealed, and there were plenty of compelling rumours that something was flying night sorties from Tonopah. The same happened with the MiGs and Sukhois flown by the USAF and indeed the F-117As that were kept active after the type was retired.

There's hardly anything with the same degree of 'believability' on the Aurora. There may have been a technology demonstrator or prototype, but reluctantly (because I'd love to believe that there was a secret hypersonic recce aircraft doing its stuff out there), I don't personally believe it.
Censored Craft Near Hangar Appears In Satellite Image Of Secretive Tonopah Test Range Airport - The Drive