PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 1st Nov 2018, 11:54
OldVenturaJockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arkroyal
My thoughts keep reluctantly focussing on sabotage. Swift removal of TRGB drain plug?
all billionaires cultivate serious enemies.
I live in Leicester just a few miles from where the tragedy occurred. As the various news services have shown an incredible number of people have been involved in the mourning of the enormous loss to Leicester. Minor and major TV, radio and newspapers have actively interviewed helicopter pilots (largely ex-military Lynx pilots) and people involved with Vichai’s various interests. Absolutely nobody has suggested that any foul play/sabotage was involved – there was absolutely no reason. The almost universal guess of the pilots interviewed was that there was a mechanical gearbox failure of some sort at the worst part of Dead Man’s Envelope and that the end was inevitable. I flew Alouettes 55 to 60 years ago and was not allowed to make high vertical departures unless it had been a serious medical emergency that demanded it.

I have recently flown frequently as a helicopter passenger on numerous occasions in both Switzerland and Australia and the pilots would not land if they could not get a good run for take off without high obstruction in front.