PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 1st Nov 2018, 11:30
tqmatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gulliBell
I remain to be convinced by that explanation....I've never seen a PWC engine do that before, and I've seen many many starts over many years (but not on this particular model engine). During the start cycle of this engine do the igniters energize as soon as the starter is engaged? I suspect so, so if that was fuel being blown out the engine I'd expect it to be like a flame thrower and not smoke like. To me that looks like oil smoke, from oil that has leaked past a seal that shouldn't. And leaking seals can turn into bad bearings. And bad bearings can turn into failed engines.
I understand where you are coming from gulliBell - but having watched, watched and watched again I am convinced that is fuel. Admittedly over-fuelling should not occur, even more so with FADEC equipped machines, but it clearly has in this case - now whether it is caused by unburnt fuel from the previous flight, or fuel being introduced too early, I for one cannot speculate as I am not type rated on my engineers ticket on the 169. For the aircraft which I AM engineer type rated, the introduction of fuel in comparison to ignitor activation varies from type to type in some cases from variant to variant. Hell I've seen the same engine installed on different airframes started with different sequences!

What we can deduce is that an engine failure would not normally result in a fully developed torque induced spin as in this case; however I am far more experienced as an engineer than I am as a pilot, so if someone with more flying experience wants to point out why an engine failure would result in a spin, please do so and educate me. A day without learning is a day wasted after all!!