PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or Virgin? Which is better?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2018, 07:34
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clamchowder:

Not having access to your system I can't do anything but judge on what I hear. It is a FACT that 100% of my ex-colleagues and friends at BA are sat under 750, one laughing about the quiet year on 650.
To which I would ask:

1. What Fleet(s) are they on, and
2. Are they on Blindlines
3. Are they doing a lot of reserve?

Under the BA system it is hard to keep the flying hours down to 750 when the credited hours target set by the company ( which is very roughly speaking sum of flying plus all other duties, with some factoring to cater for long slips,ground duties etc) is 1051 (Long haul), unless you fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. You are on a fleet that is suffering a lot of downtime,

2. On a fleet that has a high percentage of “long” slips (i.e. 48 hours or more, so your credit earned might be based on factored time away from base rather than flight time )

3. On Blindlines (where some credit earned is by virtue of being available to the company for work but possibly not actually flying)

4. Or are doing a lot of unused reserve (ditto).

Some or a combination of those will produce lowish flying hours outliers...Whatever the reason for your contacts lack of flying they should enjoy it whilst they can.....(especially the Blindline holders with the advent of JSS).

OTOH the average full time line pilot exposed to triplines on longhaul fleets with a high percentage of nightstops such as the 777 and most especially now the 747 will struggle to keep the flying hours below 750.

By way of example I went part time years ago (there’s a message in itself), I do triplines, I never pick up extra work and fortunately I'm senior enough to pick up the occasional relatively high credit but relatively low flying hours trip. If I pro-rata my annual flying hours up to a full time equivalent I’m always above 750, usually up around 780 -820...Given I've been using the system for more than a handful of years I'd suggest that is not chance or carelessness, that's just the way it works for a lot of pilots at BA..

Sorry this has turned into a long post but fundamentally IMVHO you cannot look at BA rostering, as actually worked by a significant number of the BA pilot workforce, and put it on a par with the Virgin 750 hour agreement, which is what it appears you are trying to do.

Last edited by wiggy; 1st Nov 2018 at 10:35.