PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We must never become complacent – Dick Smith
Old 31st Oct 2018, 23:48
gordonfvckingramsay

Received 730 Likes on 197 Posts
Comparatively, we are statistically less likely to be harmed flying by Airline aircraft in Australia than Indonesia. That is a fact.
It is a fact...and a fact used to justify the erosion of acceptable standards across the board. That is the nature of complacency; "she'll be right, it won't happen to us, we're too safe"

The reason we are safer, is because we have a mature system of oversight and safety management in Australia.
Reported something unsafe lately? I recently reported an unsafe/illegal procedure and it was deemed to be a minor issue; a minor issue that has brought aircraft down in the past in other countries.

This is why the FAA and the Europeans banned Indonesian carriers
But Australia didn't.

Previous commentators have suggested that there is a lack of ‘proper’ accountability in Australia. I would suggest those in doubt read Section 28 of the Act, in particular 28BE. Directors cannot escape their accountability. If they choose to ignore operational risk, they do so at their own peril
You forget the peril the paying public are in just as their lives are taken from them. It's a bit late when there is a hole in the ground, the bonus is in the bank and the Directors are safely living in a country without an extradition treaty. I wouldn't put much faith in the Directors being held accountable while there is a legal system that lacks a spine. Don't forget, the Directors can mandate all sorts of dangerous things, it is still you who is legally responsible if you choose to do it.