PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Category A Takeoff: Background
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2018, 22:01
212man

Received 332 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by nigelh
Floater .... I don’t understand how slowly reversing can be less in the avoid curve than pulling vertically and transitioning to SE climb away ASAP ? Surely every knot of forwards speed you get takes you closer to getting out of the avoid ?? ( and in the same logic reversing would make the normal avoid larger , ie higher than a normal hover as it will take valuable seconds and feet to arrest the backwards speed before initiating a nose down attitude to pick up speed ??) I am not saying you are wrong, but to my mind I would feel happier getting to the speed I could at least maintain altitude as soon as possible . I also think that logically the time it would take to drop the nose and pick up some speed would double if you were going backwards with nose up rather than a flat hover ?
I think I must be misunderstanding something ....maybe the powers that be consider the downside of reversing ( which there really must be ) are worth taking for the upside (??) of being able to see your take off spot during the climb .... ??

Old Fat One ..I think some people on here think that for you to post a theory of what you think may have happened...you should have at the very least a proper understanding and almost certainly be an experienced, probably professional, pilot . I tend to agree . My comments are a genuine question regarding the effectiveness of Cat A type take offs and are probably therefore thread drift . Apologies .
Oh great - let’s have another HV curve thread. I guess we’ve only had about 10 or so in the last decade. A Cat A take off profile does not put you in the HV curve. It may appear to but the WAT graphs and profile/technique obviate it. The HV curve is a very blunt certification instrument that does not recognise Cat A profiles and is based on extremes of mass, C of G and density altitude. Kick it out of this conversation!