PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Category A Takeoff: Background
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2018, 21:53
helicrazi

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nigelh
Floater .... I don’t understand how slowly reversing can be less in the avoid curve than pulling vertically and transitioning to SE climb away ASAP ? Surely every knot of forwards speed you get takes you closer to getting out of the avoid ?? ( and in the same logic reversing would make the normal avoid larger , ie higher than a normal hover as it will take valuable seconds and feet to arrest the backwards speed before initiating a nose down attitude to pick up speed ??) I am not saying you are wrong, but to my mind I would feel happier getting to the speed I could at least maintain altitude as soon as possible . I also think that logically the time it would take to drop the nose and pick up some speed would double if you were going backwards with nose up rather than a flat hover ?
I think I must be misunderstanding something ....maybe the powers that be consider the downside of reversing ( which there really must be ) are worth taking for the upside (??) of being able to see your take off spot during the climb .... ??
so in this scenario in a stadium, how do you prpose to depart whilst maintaining a safe landing area? if you elected to transition forward without the reverse, before tdp you need a reject oei, that might take you into the seating area. After tdp oei you won't have the climb performance to clear the roof.

the profile flown gives you a safe landing area before oei before tdp, you drift down to where you started, oei after tdp you have sifficient height to transition and clear the roof