PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 31st Oct 2018, 18:16
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
SHYTORQUE "Have you personally experienced this particular failure, or practiced it in a simulator?"

Hi Shy the answer is no, thankfully. For the FSTD yes, quite a bit. Actually just in the last weeks as part of my TRI/TRE revalidations. However, I have not tried TR failures at the top of TDP as the general wisdom would concur, its probably not going to end well. However, in my day job we are in this position on every take-off. VTOL Helipad variable TDP.

You will know the heavy emphasis in EASA land for the promotion of "Startle Effect" and "Resilience" training. The idea being that sound techniques, practiced slowly and deliberately, leading to multiple events in other phases of the training with decreasing notice and increasing distraction in an attempt to over come the "Startle" (I think we used to call this "Over arousal") and build resilience. I but into this and spend a lot of time with candidates/students doing TR failures and Autos. However, up to now, I have ignored this particular trajectory for the TR stuff.

I guess my real point is, does any us feel there is an acceptable solution in the average MEH for a TR drive failure close to VTOL TDP?

For the Hover TR Failure we have been teaching "DON'T DUMPT THE LEVER". Accept the rotation, keep level disc attitude and slowly lower to the surface allowing the wheels/skids to generate friction to slow the rotation. Dumping the lever with a rapid yaw rate we think will cause the wheels/skids to dig in an lead to a roll over crash.

How are other instructors teaching this failure?

I am now wondering how the Hover technique we are peddling above would translate to what is effectively at TDP, a zero speed hover?