PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2018, 15:00
Volume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it seems that unless you turn off stuff, like the trim and feel system, you still have pitch inputs from "Hal".
This is the reason why the first 5 or more points on the emergency checklist end with "- OFF".
Autopilot - OFF, Auto Throttle- OFF, Flight Director- OFF etc.

Unfortunately many pilots switch on again those gimmicks as soon as possible to avoid having to fly by hand...
It is sometimes tempting to have the aircraft flying by itself, and to concentrate on troubleshooting.

A topic I never really finally concluded on is what should be the preferred tactics (in general aviation, SEP): Acccept that something has failed, switch off anything related to have a clear status, just fly what is left manually and leave it to a mechanic to fix it after landing. Or troubleshoot in flight to be back to normal as soon as possible. Even for such major events like an engine failure, accept to fly a glider and prepare for the perfect emergency landing (after all I did some 5000 glider landings...), or trying to restart until emergency landing becomes unavoidable. At home in the armchair I am always with tactics one, what I will do if it really happens and I am full of adrenaline, no idea.

Commercial pilots already have that decided by some smart people at the manufacturer, authority and operator. Just follow the trained procedure.
Hopefully they never get into a situation for which no checklist/procedure exists... Or for which the checklist/procedure has been written without ever being tested (a.k.a. the sully situation)

In 1988 most pilots would have easily handled such situation...
With "such situation" I was thinking of loosing all air data in VMC daylight in the airport pattern.
AF447 was a bit more complex, I would not have expected all pilots to have handled that back in 1988... Hand flying in IMC at night in a heavy thunderstorm in the middle of the ocean at FL360 is a bit different from hand flying at 5000 ft.