PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We must never become complacent – Dick Smith
Old 31st Oct 2018, 14:40
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by George Glass
Well,Leadsled,I dont know what your background is (mine is 30 years fly jets)but the only reason I'm wasting my time commenting on this website is that professional Pilots get pretty fed up with enthusiastic amateurs and know-nothing clowns commenting on issues that they know nothing about.Including Dick Smith Again I ask; What complacency? Dicks assertion is baseless.The mob I work for could be reasonably accused of over-training. I appreciate that the web is what it is.But why do so many people feel the need to comment on issues they f@#k all about?
George Glass,
Enough hours over more years than you, on a variety of ATPLs by whatever name, just about everywhere but China (except just in and out a few times) and long experience as an instructor, to know what I am talking about.

Although I admit that apart from a slew of light aircraft, I haven't flown anything as small as a B737.

And unlike you (wherever you are) complacency is rife at a Government level in Australia, and is far too evident in airline managements, and a broad generation of Australian commercial ( in many cases I am very hesitant to use the word "professional") pilots employed by airlines ----- in large part because they have been told how good they are so often.

The statistics do not support such abundant self-satisfaction.

They believe it, despite all the evidence to the contrary. And "normalisation of deviance" is the order of the day.

And six months consolidated incidents from a major Australian airline should pull anybody up short ---- far too many of them include one (or more) of the tec. crew exhibiting less than optimal performance ( to put it it in managementspeak). Too many of the maintenance incidents show similar unsatisfactory patterns.

As for over training ---- there is "training" and effective training ----- there is a big difference. And it is far too big a subject to even scratch the surface here.

And, as a matter of interest, there is, within CASA, a group that says that neither CASA, nor the Australian aviation community, is sufficiently mature for performance based (outcome based) regulation, therefor Australian aviation must have ultra-prescriptive detailed regulation for CASA to micromanage every facet ---- which they cannot, in fact, achieve, but that is a significant contributor to our shambles of a regulatory base.

Tootle pip!!