PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2018, 13:42
Esvees

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at ATPL training for older students

Hi all,

Pleasure to meet you all, I've been reading regularly, but was hoping to get some good advice on options for this. I'm currently 39, work as an ex-pat manager in Shanghai, have a university degree and en executive MBA. Currently no kids, just a girlfriend. Every three months I go back to our company HQ in the Netherlands and usually get in some flying with Premier at Norwich airport (where my dad lives) I am very close to completing my PPL, despite the distance and sometimes non co-operative weather. My job is ok, as it pays relatively well, but it's a bit of a dead-end and we're getting really tired of living in China. And if ever I am going to be a professional pilot, this is probably my last chance.

I'm not going to pose the old "am I too old to be a pilot" question again as there are lots of answers already and I figure as with most things in life, sheer determination and intelligence and a bit of luck can see you through. What I'm looking at is training organizations that would still take on an old-timer like me that have some pretty good links to the airlines and where with any luck at the end I could end up doing a type-rating.

- Is it fair to assume that a large organization such as CAE is more likely to have the network and brand to land you a flying job at the end or are there smaller academies that are good at this too?
- I tried the KLM flight academy in the Netherlands ( I can speak Dutch) already; even though there is no official maximum age, they do have a soft cap of around 27,5 years old. KLM mostly recruits from them, but I'm unlikely to be accepted. I'm looking at Atlantic flight academy as well, due to the links to Ryanair. Are there any others worth looking at that might accept us oldies that the carriers recruit from directly?
- Usually, can your PPL allow you to skip certain parts of the practical course? (not the 15 written exams obviously)

Just looking for some no-nonsense advice here. Belgium or UK (Norfolk) are easiest for me as I can live rent-free in either, but I'll actually consider anywhere in the world as long as the help in landing that type rating/first job at the end is good. Relatively comfortable money-wise as I have saved quite a bit and can always get a regular job if things don't pan out, but I would love to fly for a living.

Thanks for any insights!