PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head Wind drop off on Landing
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2018, 00:55
skippybangkok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seldom does the wind drop 20 knots instantly. Air has mass, just like the airplane does.

Glider starts sinking, push in the spoilers. Adjust pitch to regain airspeed if necessary.

If you KNOW there's a wind shear, plan for it with a bit of extra speed above the shear!
Cheers - agree on wind drop and closing air brakes - exactly what I had to do to keep it on point

The runway in the country side had a strong curve ( hill ) with trees at the far end. It was very obvious the wind was passing over and there was a wind protected zone at the bottom of the hill where the TDZ was- no wind

On approach on every flight the wind would almost disappear a few hundred feet AGL before landing.

The thing which puzzled me were the experienced guys said “no wind - will glide further” but the opposite was true. In a steady state I would agree with them, but not in a wind shear

it’s like in flare in a powered AC - in the flare, if a 20kt wind would disappear -> will you glide further ( not ). If in flare get strong wind all of a sudden - you land longer ( as I experienced in the jump seat on jets in HK and MEL )

Last edited by skippybangkok; 31st Oct 2018 at 01:19.