PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Temperature correction on Baro-VNAV approach
Old 30th Oct 2018, 16:10
Dutchman95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyburg
Actually, this is a big discussion in our airline as well(another Dutch company). The initilal guidance in our manual when we first started flying RNP approaches was that you did have to correct the DA for low temperatures, even though you were within the temp bracket to fly to LNAV/VNAV minima. I did some research and have found several documents backing this up.

However, as a previous poster already posted, since 2016, EASA guidance states that when above the minimum temperature stated on the approach chart, temperature corrections are not to be made to the DA, even though the temperature is below 0!!
Exactly, I've also read several documents in which this was stated clearly, and not just in outdated documents for some reason. However, the fact that EU regulation currently prohibits these corrections to both FAF and DA indicates to me that all those documents can be disregarded.

Originally Posted by sonicbum
I believe the confusion is between the applicable correction and the DA(DH) that pilots do actually "bug" on the PFD. No corrections are applicable between the FAF and DA(DH) but Your company procedures may require You to "bug" a temperature corrected DA which has obviously zero effect on the profile.
We don't do that, our manual clearly states "the uncorrected DA is set on the PFD". Using a corrected DA on the flatter vertical path would also increase the required distance to make visual contact with the runway.