PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2018, 15:30
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 lives - thanks for that! I did not consider that the school may not own the aircraft, I assumed that since the school operated the aircraft, that they owned it? I realize now that may not always be the case. I'll be sure to ask! Speaking of scratches, surely not all aircraft windows are scratch-free? Surely they don't need to be replaced at the lightest scratch? The aircraft available to me have been in grass fields so I'd guess it has some small scratches here and there.

My initial flight will be in a PA-28 but I plan to do most of my training in the PA-38s for the reasons you mention, plus the fact that they are cheaper to fly and I estimate about £1,000+ difference in cost once the 45 hours are up! Looks like a win-win scenario to me!

As the first photo shows, you could block out several airplanes in formation with that much vision blocked!
I do hope you realize that picture was meant as a joke! To clarify, the plan for the second camera is to be in a location similar to this shown in Stefan Drury's video, but mine will be on the opposite side, to where the arrows are pointing. As you can see, while it does obstruct a little of the view, it will be below the eye level of the pilot so unless the oncoming traffic is on a lower altitude and coming up, it should be okay. I can also mount it just below the window or windshield as shown by the second red arrow, so as to give the pilot a totally unobstructed view. However, I also need to ensure it does not get in the way of the yoke or other controls and that's why I need to have a sit down in the cockpit to have a look-see.

As for the video review, you are making assumptions about how the video will be used after the flight and I'm honestly getting tired of correcting answers made from wrong assumptions, but anyway.... the instructor does not have to watch the whole video. Like I said, if it was 58 minutes of boring and 2 minutes of interesting footage, we only really need to watch that 2 minutes. Bringing up an issue of something I did wrong during the flight, do you think it's better to go off each other's recollection of the incident or watching a video for a clear, impartial review of the incident?

"Hey Instructor! Remember that time when...."
"Um, no, not really..."
"Here, watch this.... I wanted to clarify what you meant when you said...."

"Hey, N2P! That bit earlier when we were practicing.... you did this instead of that..."
"I was distracted and probably overloaded, so I can't clearly recall...."
"It was about 35 minutes into the flight... let's review what happened...."

Much more useful, no?

Originally Posted by rarelyathome
N2P. I own a go pro so know how large they are. 9 lives has given you a reply as to why your comment to me does you absolutely no credit.
So you know how much they can impact the lookout. Hiding behind other people does you no credit, and as you can see, I've already thought of the obstruction issue and have a Plan B should it be a significant hindrance during flight. How can I take you seriously about any claims you make like this one regarding obstruction and cameras when you've already admitted you can't give me any of your actual experience because you've never allowed cameras? Yet you persist....

Originally Posted by rarelyathome
Where will you do your training? Asking because I want to be sure to stay away from the area.
Speaking of credit, you seem to forget you've made this statement..... I wonder how that does you any credit? 30+ years in the RAF and however many number of years instructing but still making jabs like this towards an aspiring pilot after you've said you were leaving the thread....

When you have been flying for a few lessons, you will see just how small a conflicting aircraft is until it is very close. That there is no relative movement between 2 aircraft on a collision course means that any blockage of lookout is dangerous. You will soon start to wonder whether that really is a squashed fly on the windscreen or a conflicting aircraft.
I know this concept very well. You must've missed that bit about light aircraft and gliders. Do you fly in F-16s all the time with a bubble cockpit? Do you keep your head in one position only and just turn left/right for lookout? Or do you "look around," move your head, change your viewpoint so that blindspots from the obstructing parts of the airframe are cleared? Considering how big the other parts of the aircraft are with respect to obstruction, is a GoPro really going to be blocking that much that can't be cleared with the usual head movements required to see around the aircraft frame?

Reverserbucket - thanks for your input! Read my reply to AlexJR in post #70... the timeline will be however long it takes. I can definitely take time off work to give this a good push but there's no sense in doing that at this time of year!

I understand the reasoning behind the ban, but how would you feel if you were not allowed something because someone else was too stupid to do it safely? I appreciate my flight school for being open minded and judging me on my merits, not based off of someone else.

As for time investment,
Pre-flight reading - PPL - I've been enjoying reading the books
PPL question bank app? - and testing my knowledge
and surely not 100% of my time must be invested in ground study especially since we both agree that this may well take longer than 6 months, so what's the harm in looking up other topics that might aid me in my learning?