PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armistice 100/ Victory 100
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2018, 15:07
ICM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The personal bit I did 4 years ago when, with daughters and grand-daughters, we walked the field at Le Cateau on 26 August 2014, the centenary of the holding battle fought there during the retreat from Mons exactly 100 years before. My maternal grandfather, recalled to the colours in his last Reserve year, died in the 'confused' circumstances of 1st Gordons delayed withdrawal that night. He is one of some 3700 men from the first weeks of the war, and with no known graves, who are commemorated at the Monument in La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, about 50 miles east of Paris.

But on 11 November, with probably about 80 others of at least 3 generations, I should be by a Yorkshire roadside at the entrance to the WW2 RAF Melbourne, now a working farm, where there has been a 10 Squadron Memorial since 1985. All being well, both Squadron and Association standards will be paraded for a short Remembrance Service, as in past years. And we may well once again get a Chipmunk flyover, courtesy of a chap who keeps one at another ex-WW2 airfield in the area. We then pretty much take over the pub in a nearby village for lunch!