PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malindo Magic
Thread: Malindo Magic
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 22:58
Onesixty2four

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last August I was stuck trying to get to Bali having been booted off a flight using staff travel. Ended up going to MEL and jumped on a Malindo flight the next morning. On a 6:40 flight the seatbelt sign was on for perhaps 5:50 on a flight that was glass smooth the vast majority of the time. Having flown many years in Asia, I know this to be a sure sign (excuse the pun) of a poor commander. Basically, the mind set appears to be rather than make a decision (on/off) the default setting is to leave it on, therefore always be "covered". Whether this is due to a poor understanding of weather radar or simply an inability to stand by your own command experience I don't know. But, whatever the case, if a minor decision like that is beyond the abilites of the crew, God forbid if real, game changing decisions have to be made.

When we finally arrived in Bali (good weather, dry runway) the "landing" was so poor I honestly thought we were going to be another runway excursion statistic. Sideways, full braking, no braking, sideways the other way, full braking again, etc..... When the plane finally came to a smoking halt, my 5 year old daughter said "That was great fun daddy, just like a roller coaster". Never again.