PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stanley Hooker "Not Much of an Engineer"
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 17:30
aerobelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DHfan
The main difference is the UK, and most of the rest of the world, uses first angle projection and the US uses third angle projection.
My recollection of being on drawing board in the UK 1960/70s is that we pretty much always used 3rd angle. 1970/80s in the USA I was trying to sell them CAD programs and only did examples for training -- do not remember anyone saying I was using unusual projection.

Originally Posted by DHfan
I had to look that up - it's nearly 45 years since I had to make something from an engineering drawing so don't ask me to explain the difference now! I did know...
It is whether you draw a projected view on the side from which you are looking (3rd) or on the side towards which you are looking (1st).. There also exist 2nd and 4th angles, but I have never seen them used and cannot remember what they were. In case of possible misunderstanding in both BS and ANSI codes it was allowed to have a labelled arrow and (eg) VIEW A under the projected view.

If you like Not much of an engineer can I suggest It Was Fun: My Fifty Years of High Performance by Tony Rudd.Designer at the BRM and Lotus F1 teams.

'a

Last edited by aerobelly; 29th Oct 2018 at 17:41. Reason: Added book suggestion